Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."
What you need to do:
- Complete a registration form. (insert form)
- Provide a copy of your child’s birth certificate.
- Provide copies of the Godparents’ Baptismal and Confirmation certificates which can be obtained at their Church of baptism.
- Parents and godparents must attend a preparation course which is given prior to the baptism.
Who can be a Godparent?
Godparents are the example of the faith for your child; it is why they should be practicing Catholics. You may choose to have only one godparent or two, one male and one female. Canon law permits only one godparent of each gender – a godmother and a godfather.
To be a sponsor, you must:
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Have received Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation
- Not be the parent of the one being baptized
- Be a practicing Catholic
- Psalm 28:7